Rules For Writing

I've just read this article on the Guardian's website with advice for writers of creative fiction, and I'm pleased to see that much of it echos what I've been telling my own students.  I'm posting a link here as much for my own future benefit than anything else. 

I particularly like: 
  • Carrot and stick – have protagonists pursued (by an obsession or a villain) and pursuing (idea, object, person, mystery).   ~ Michael Moorcock
  • Rewrite and edit until you achieve the most felicitous phrase/sentence/paragraph/page/story/chapter.   ~ Annie Proulx
  • Do not place a photograph of your ­favourite author on your desk, especially if the author is one of the famous ones who committed suicide. ~ Roddy Doyle
For the full article, click here: Rules For Writing

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Gathering historical research on William Clark's Nez Perce son

A Detailed Synopsis of James Welch’s Fools Crow

A Discussion of Sherman Alexie's novel, Indian Killer